July 30, 2013

I started a GoodReads book club in which only Kirkus Star-red books are read

It's a bit of an experiment. I tried to find a place where really good books are discussed. Yes, I could move to New York and attend readings or go back to college. But I was kind of looking for a more economical route.

After a brief look online, it looks there aren't any groups on GoodReads or in Google + focused on really good books. And I assume, the people that are into really good books aren't into discussing them online. Or at least, I couldn't find them. (Admittedly, I didn't spend too much time.)

So I created a GoodReads book club in which only books with a Kirkus Star are read. The purpose of this group is twofold: 1) Encourage people to read really good books, 2) Encourage people who usually stick to a few genres to try a good book, regardless of the genre. 

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/109910-kirkus-stars

This group is not affiliated with Kirkus Reviews. Also, I knew this group would need some kind of reputable, yet arbitrary litmus test for quality. Achieving a Kirkus Star doesn't automatically guarantee that the book is perfect or that you will like it. Also, there have been plenty of quality books that haven't received a star. Ya just gotta start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment