July 31, 2013

It turns out I really CAN judge a book by its cover

I'm currently in the midst of trying to buy up all of the Kirkus Star-red books available at the local used book stores. First I tried pulling up the 2012 Kirkus Star winners, then look for each of them, one at a time. Very time consuming. Now, I just go through the shelves and pick the books that I think probably got a Kirkus Star. Sometimes I recognize a reputable book or author, then search the Kirkus site. But since I don't know of the many reputable authors that are out there, this doesn't work very well. What does work is picking the books whose spines "look" like their Star recipients. Then I look at the cover. Then I search for the book on the Kirkus site. And it turns out that I am right approximately 80 PERCENT OF THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment